Saturday, April 09, 2011

St. Mary's visits St. Joseph's Feb 2011






Whilst I was in the Darjeeling/ Kalimpong Hill Region this year for 7 weeks in Jan/Feb there was a lot of political unrest , resulting in frequent prolonged Bundhas. ( see post "My Visit to Gitdubling Jan/Feb 2011")
The schools were not permitted to open on their planned date for the begining of the new school year and my visit was drawing to a close. About 7 days before I was due to leave the area, to set out for my flight home from Delhi, I fell going down a muddy slope and dislocated my left knee. This put paid to my being able to visit any more villages, as the terraine there is very rough and hilly.
Some of the pupils and 2 of their teachers from St. Mary's Tribal School walked from Nok Dara to Gitdubling, a 2.5 hour walk, to visit me and to collect letters sent by Dunbar Primary School to them.
They also wrote some letters and made a collage for Dunbar Primary.

No comments: