Wednesday, April 06, 2011

My visit to Gitdubling in Jan/Feb 2011

In December of 2010, I got an over whelming urge to visit our project in the Gitdubling area of the Kalimpong Hill Region. I felt that this was not really possible, as I help one of my daughters, by looking after her 2 children one day a week, to enable her to go to work. I was chatting to my youngest daughter on the phone when I mentioned my desire to go to Gitdubling. She immediately arranged baby sitting for my 2 charges and talked me into going; which wasn't hard.
I left for West Bengal early in January 2011, arriving in Gitdubling on the 12th.
During my visit I was kept busy coaching pupils from classes 8, 9 and 10 in English.
The pupils were in the school, St. Joseph's, for extra tuition during their long winter vocation. Class 10 pupils were preparing for their Board Examinations. This was the first time for a Class 10 from St. Joseph's School, to be presented for these Examinations. There was a lot of pressure on them to do well.
However all was not straight forward. There was a lot of political agitation going on in the months of Jan/ Feb 2011. The most prominent form agitation takes in this region is the calling of Bandhas ie. strikes, which must be strictly adhered to by all. Violence and retaliation are common if anyone dares to break a strike. The Gourka party who want independence for the Hill Region from West Bengal,becoming an in dependant state within India, rule the people by intimidation.
As there was no public transport permitted to run and all shops were closed, many of the pupils were unable to attend the classes as they were unable to get to the school and also were needed by their families to help forage for food in the jungle.
They eat lots of plant roots and plants to supplement their diet when necessary. The schools were not permitted to reopen until 2 weeks after their usual opening date. However the Board examinations did take place and results should be published in May.

The weather this year in This Region was much colder than any one could remember.
The people do not have adequate clothing; there is no heating of any kind and the majority of the houses do not have glass in their windows and buildings are not wind proof. They cook on wood burning stoves made from mud. The villagers are not allowed to cut down trees so have to forage for fallen wood in the jungle. I was very fortunate to have my sleeping bag with me and warm clothing, even so I was cold much of the time. Despite the inconveniences of the Bandhas and the cold, I was very happy to be there and hopefully was of some benefit to the pupils whom I tried to help in their studies.

No comments: