Friday, September 01, 2006

My visit to West Bengal in 2006

A view of Kanchenjunga, West Bengal

Travel:
I flew from London to Kathmandu in Nepal, from Kathmandu I flew to Kakabeta on the border of Nepal and West Bengal. I was met there by a driver and jeep, who had been instructed to take me to Kalimpong.
This journey took three hours over very rough roads but through beautiful countryside. When I arrived in Kalimpong another jeep was waiting to take me to Gitdubling. This took another three hours and the roads were even worse.
By the time I arrived there I was exhautsed and not sure what to expect. I was taken to the convent of the sisters of St. Jospeh of Cluny. There I was made very welcome, given tea, and warm water in a bucket to wash with.
I then sat down to my first meal-19.30 hours- steamed rice, dal and hot curried potatoes along with a glass of warm boiled water.
I was in bed and asleep by 21.00 hours.

No comments: